Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
Serves: 4 (Makes about 30 meatballs)
This Indian-spiced meat mixture makes great hamburgers, too! Try them on folded naan with a spoonful of chutney and sliced Roma tomatoes. Adapted from Sunset, January 2011
I don't eat cute, fluffy baby animals, so this recipe which originally called for lamb had to be adapted!
- 1 tsp. each ground cumin, ground coriander & ground fennel
- 1/2 tsp. each black pepper, cinnamon & kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne
- 1/4 tsp. tumeric
- 1.25 lb. ground turkey
- 1 lg. egg or 1/4 c. egg substitute
Mix the above ingredients in a bowl and let it firm up in the refrigerator for about 15 minutes.
- Cooking spray
- 3 T. of 0% Fage (pronounced, "fay-eh") nonfat Greek yogurt (Safeway carries this)
- 1 tsp. peeled fresh ginger, cut into small chunks or cubes
- 1/2 medium-size red, yellow or orange bell pepper, seeded & cut into chunks
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 c. (1 bunch) loosely packed fresh cilantro, rinsed, shaken & chopped for the food processor
- 1 c. (1 bunch) loosely packed fresh spearmint leaves, rinsed & cleaned (no stems)
- 1 c. chopped sweet onion (Maui or some other type of sweet onion)
- Juice of 1 fresh lemon
Put all chutney ingredients into a food processor & whirl until smooth (fresh herbs should be finely chopped).
Make the meatballs
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Cover a baking sheet or pizza pan with aluminum foil. Spray with cooking spray.
Remove meat mixture from fridge. It will be slightly gooey and will not roll into a ball very easily, so form golfball-sized meatballs by tossing the mixture back & forth between your fingertips. Place meatballs around baking sheet. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes until browned & meat juices have carmelized.
Ladle a medium-sized pool of chutney onto each plate. Arrange meatballs on top of the chutney. Dollop a generous tablespoon of Fage plain Greek yogurt next to the meatballs. Serve with red or white (or a mixture of red & white) quinoa, sliced fresh tomatoes, & freshly ground pepper.