|Zucchini-corn pancakes make great leftovers!|
★ Zucchini - Corn Pancakes (Latkes) on Greens with Store-Bought Fresh Salsa
★ Fresh cut-up fruit
★ Sliced avocados with cilantro, lime & sour cream sauce
★ Sparkling Lime Water
ZUCCHINI — CORN PANCAKES (LATKES)
Makes 10 to 12 three-inch pancakes — 4 servings (2 - 3 pancakes each)
Adapted from Weight Watchers Magazine © 1998
• 2 small zucchini, shredded
• 1 c. fresh or frozen (thawed) corn kernals
• 2 eggs, lightly beaten (or 1/2 c. egg substitute)
• 1/4 c. nonfat milk
• 1 small bunch of green onions, cleaned & chopped
• 1/2 c. all-purpose white flour
• 1/2 c. yellow cornmeal
• 2 T. chopped fresh oregano
• 1 tsp. baking powder
• 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
• 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
• 1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper
• 1/8 tsp. cayenne
• 2 T. extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 c. nonfat sour cream or 1 small container of Fage nonfat Greek yogurt
• 1 lime, juiced (about 1 tablespoon)
• 1/2 c. of fresh cilantro, rinsed & chopped
• 1 container of your favorite deli-case (refrigerated) salsa
• fresh baby spinach or spring greens
• 1 container of cut-up fresh fruit
• 2 avocados, peeled & sliced
• Your favorite flavor of sparkling water over ice
1. EGG MIXTURE: In a medium bowl, mix the zucchini, corn, eggs, milk and green onions.
2. FLOUR MIXTURE: In a large bowl, mix the flour, cornmeal, oregano, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, black pepper & cayenne.
3. Stir the egg mixture into the flour mixture until blended.
4. Add the olive oil to a nonstick skillet & heat over med-high. Scoop 1/3 c. sized spoonfuls into the skillet and flatten into 1/2-inch thick pancakes with the back of the scoop. Brown on one side & gently flip to brown on the other side (about 2 minutes on each side). Place on a foil-covered cookie sheet or pizza pan and set in the oven to keep warm (325°F) while you cook the remainder of the batch.
Combine 1 c. of nonfat sour cream or plain nonfat Greek yogurt with the juice of 1 lime (about 1 T.)
1. Plate a handful of fresh greens onto each plate. Slide 2 or 3 warm pancakes onto the bed of greens. Top with cream sauce & fresh salsa.
2. Slice avocados into thin slices & distribute evenly on the plates. Top each with lime-cream sauce, sprinkle with paprika, cracked pepper, and a generous pinch of fresh cilantro on top.
3. Serve fresh cut-up fruit on the side.
4. Pour sparkling water over ice & serve with a twist of lime, a sprig of fresh oregano, or steal a berry or a grape from your fresh fruit mixture!