|Bacon, cheese & fresh tomato quiche|
Makes two 9" pies — 8 servings cut into quarters or 6 large servings cut into thirds
|Frozen 9" double deep-dish pie crusts|
|6 oz. nonfat yogurt|
|8 oz. shredded cheddar, jack, or artisan swiss/gruyère cheese|
|3 c. fresh summer tomatoes|
• 2 frozen deep-dish 9" pie crusts, thawed
• 1 8-oz pkg. shredded cheese (cheddar, jack, swiss/gruyère, or any combination)
• 6 slices bacon, chopped & fried crisp (drained on a paper towel)
• 1 6-oz. container nonfat plain yogurt (Greek-style or regular nonfat is fine)
• 3 eggs (or, 3/4 egg substitute)
• 1 T. cornstarch
• 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
• 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
• dash of cayenne pepper
• 1 med. sweet yellow onion
• 3 c. chopped fresh tomatoes OR 1 c. fresh baby spinach
|Super-easy to make!|
Put bacon & cheese in prepared crusts (1/2 in one crust, 1/2 in the other). Put all other ingredients in the blender & blend until smooth (yogurt, eggs, cornstarch, salt, nutmeg, cayenne, onion & either tomatoes or spinach).
Pour over cheese/bacon, dividing the mixture evenly between the two crusts.
Put into 375°F oven and bake for 30 - 40 minutes until firm. Check for doneness; if the centers are still jiggly, bake for another 10 mins, then check for doneness again. The crusts will be brown, and the centers will be firm.
Let stand for 5-8 mins before serving.
|Sprinkle paprika & freshly ground black pepper on top|
|Bacon, cheese & fresh baby spinach quiche|
|Bake 30-40 mins in a 375°F oven|
If you want to make your own crust, here's my old favorite no-roll pie crust!
No-Roll Pie Crust
Put directly into a 9" pie pan & mix together with a fork:
• 1-1/2 c. unbleached white flour
• 1 tsp. kosher salt
• 1-1/2 tsp sugar
Mix together in a cup:
• 1/2 c. vegetable oil
• 2 T. milk
Pour wet ingredients over dry ingredients & blend with a fork. When moistened, press into place with fingers.
For a pre-baked crust, bake 10 mins at 375°F