|Serve warm on a bed of Spring greens|
Tunisian Style Baked Cauliflower Frittata
Preheat oven to 350°F
• 1/2 medium head cauliflower (about 1-1/4 lbs.), trimmed of leaves_bottom of stem trimmed
• 2 T. extra virgin olive oil
• 1 small yellow onion
• 2 garlic cloves
• 8 eggs
• kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
• 1/2 c. finely chopped parsley
• 2 tsp. ground caraway seeds (if you don't have ground caraway, crushed seeds in a mortar & pestal work just as well)
• 2 T. grated Parmesan
• 1/4 tsp. cayenne
• freshly ground black pepper
|steam cauliflower for 15 minutes until tender|
2. Heat 1 T. olive oil in a large, heavy ovenproof skillet. Cast-iron works well. Add chopped onion & sauté until soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic & sauté for another 2 minutes until onion & garlic are tender. Remove from heat & let the pan cool.
|sauté onions & garlic until tender — set aside to cool|
|whisk eggs with salt & pepper|
|pour egg mixture into skillet with cooked onions & garlic|
4. Place pan in the oven & bake for 40 minutes until set. Don't worry if the frittata starts to bubble or rise on one side. It will all settle down after it is removed from the oven.
Remove from the oven & allow the frittata to sit for at least 10 minutes before serving. In Tunisia, frittatas are served at room temp; however, it is quite delicious hot!
Do ahead: May be prepared a day ahead. Bring back up to room temp & heat in a 325° oven for 30 to 40 minutes.
Nutritional note: To lower cholesterol & fat, use egg substitute for half of the eggs. 4 eggs = 1 c. egg substitute
Nutritional Info Per Serving: 165 cal: 12 gms fat: 3 gms sat fat: 2 gms polyunsaturated fat: 6 gms monounsaturated fat: 249 mgs cholesterol: 5 gms carbs: 2 gms fiber: 139 mgs sodium: 10 gms protein
|Bake 40 mins until set - cool for 10 mins|