|simply delicious & easy!|
I've adapted this recipe for the crockpot & used frozen peas instead of garden fresh (which would also be wonderful). I've added 2 double cubes of veggie bouillon to the mix because I've also doubled the amount of water. This results in a fuller bodied soup. I like to top it off with a teaspoon of grated Parmesan, a sprinkle of sunflower seeds (for texture), and some freshly ground black pepper.
Serve with a simple salad made from cut up beets (found in the produce department), chunky fresh mozzarella, and heirloom tomatoes piled on top of a bed of fresh greens. Drizzle with your favorite light salad dressing (I suggest Amy's or Paul Newman's) & a generous grinding of black pepper.
|beets, heirloom toms, mozzarella & greens|
Super yummy & super easy!
Time for prep: 5 minutes
Cooking time in a crockpot: 1-1/2 to 2 hours on high
Degree of difficulty: EASY
FRESH CURRIED PEA SOUP
Adapted from Nutrition Nuggets © 1997 by Joy Lasseter, Ph.D.
• immersion blender
• large capacity crockpot
|water, bouillon, peas, curry powder, soy sauce|
|frozen or fresh peas will work!|
• 2 double veggie bouillon cubes dissolved in 4 cups of hot water
• 1 32 - oz. bag of frozen peas
• curry powder
• 1 T. soy sauce
• grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
• salted or unsalted sunflower seeds (optional)
1. Empty frozen peas into a large-size crockpot (I use an oval 7-1/2 qt. crockpot).
2. Drop the veggie cubes into a 4 c. Pyrex measuring cup & add 4 cups of water. Zap the water/bouillon cubes in the microwave for 5 minutes until hot. Stir to dissolve bouillon cubes & pour over peas.
3. Add 2 T. of curry powder & 1 T. of soy sauce (low-salt or regular is fine). Stir to break up the peas and combine the bouillon.
4. Cover & set temp to HIGH. Cook for 1-1/2 to 2 hours until the peas are soft & tender.
5. Blend thoroughly with an immersion blender until smooth.
6. Top with grated Parmesan, a few sunflower seeds & freshly ground black pepper. Serve immediately!
|even better the next day!|
|a salad or a half sandwich is a great accompaniment!|
Faster blender method
Don't want to wait for the crockpot? Here is Dr. Joy's faster, original method for a smaller batch:
Place 2 c. of boiling water in a blender. Add 4 cups of fresh raw green peas or thawed frozen uncooked green peas. Purée in the blender until the texture is smooth. Add 1/4 tsp. curry powder to taste & 1/2 tsp. light soy sauce. Blend & serve with a salad or a sandwich.