|The secret to a good curry is in the spices|
|Slow-cook everything except the shrimp|
|Topped with herbed crumbled feta|
This slow-cooked curry is made the authentic way with six different ground spices: cumin, coriander, turmeric, cardamom, cinnamon and cloves. Add chopped garlic and fresh ginger to enhance the flavors, and finish it off with aromatic vegetables, celery & onion.
I doubled all of the ingredients from the original recipe, except for the onion, which I kept at one very large sweet onion. I used jarred chopped garlic (in water) instead of fresh garlic, and I included clean, fresh leaves with the chopped celery.
|Basic curry ingredients_(don't forget the cardamom)|
|Flavorful & healthy red lentils|
|Fresh ginger, sweet onion & Rapunzel vegan vegetable broth cubes|
|I use 2 double-size cubes to make 4 cups, then I add a cup of plain water|
|2 pounds of frozen rinsed shrimp|
|Convenient 2-pound size bag|
Curried Shrimp and Red Lentils
Adapted from Weight Watchers® Slow Good Super Slow-Cooker Cookbook, 2005
Makes 6 servings
5 c. vegetable broth
2 c. red lentils_picked over, rinsed & drained
4 celery stalks, chopped
4 T. finely chopped fresh ginger
2 garlic cloves, chopped (2 tsp. jarred in water)
2 tsp. ground cumin
2 tsp. ground coriander
2 tsp. turmeric
1 tsp. ground cardamom
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. freshly ground pepper
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
2 pounds frozen medium-sized peeled & deveined shrimp — rinsed to remove the outer ice
1. Place the vegetable broth, lentils, chopped onion, celery, ginger & garlic in the slow cooker.
2. Add the spices: ground cumin, coriander, turmeric, cardamom, cinnamon, salt, pepper & cloves.
3. Mix well. Cover & cook on high for 3 hours or on low for 5 hours until lentils are soft and broth is aromatic.
4. Empty the frozen shrimp into a colander & rinse to loosen and remove outer layers of ice. Stir in the shrimp. Cook until shrimp are opaque, about 20 minutes.
• Serve over hot, cooked Basmati rice or with fresh slabs of Tandoori Naan (Indian flatbread) available at Safeway and Whole Foods.
• This is also delicious as an accompaniment to Tandoori chicken!