|Heaven in a crock pot|
I've been making a lot of crock pot recipes lately for our busy dance lesson nights when I don't have time to cook. I doubled this recipe and served it over hot brown Basmati rice. Yum!!
Adapted from the original Weight Watchers recipe, Slow Good Super Slow-Cooker Cookbook, ©2005
Makes 6 servings (double it for 12 servings)
Italian White Bean & Sausage Stew
Single Recipe Ingredients — I double this
• 1 large sweet onion, chopped
• 2 (15 oz.) cans of cannellini beans (white kidney or any white bean), rinsed & drained
• 1 large fresh fennel bulb, rinsed & chopped, including fronds
• 3 garlic cloves, chopped (or 3 tsp. jarred chopped garlic in water)
• 1 large green bell pepper, seeded & chopped
• 1.25 lbs. uncooked mild Italian turkey sausage (1 package), casings removed
• 1 (14 oz.) can Italian-style diced tomatoes
• 1/2 cup dry red wine or chicken broth
• 1/4 cup of fresh crisp basil, chopped
• Grated Parmesan cheese for sprinkling on top
1. Sauté the sausage, onion & garlic in a large nonstick skillet until meat is no longer pink & starting to brown
2. Transfer sausage mixture to the crock pot. Add the rinsed beans, chopped fennel, bell pepper, tomatoes & basil; stir to combine.
3. Pour the wine over the top & stir to combine. Season with 1 tablespoon of freshly ground black pepper & kosher salt to taste. Cover & cook on high 4 to 5 hours or on low 6 to 7 hours.
4. Serve over hot long-grain Basmati rice lightly seasoned with 2 to 3 T. of real butter (for 2-1/2 cups of rice), kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper.
|Single recipe ingredients|
|Fresh fennel & green bell pepper|