|A fantastic Halloween treat!|
Roasted Fresh Pumpkin Seeds
• 2 to 3 cups of fresh, clean pumpkin seeds
• 1 tablespoon of melted real butter to every cup of seeds
• kosher salt
• garlic powder
• seasoning salt
• chili powder &/or paprika
• a couple of shakes from your favorite hot sauce (I use Cholula chipotle sauce, not too hot)
• ground black pepper
|Basic seasonings_kosher salt, seasoning salt, garlic powder, paprika,|
black pepper & melted butter
1. Preheat oven to 300°F
2. To separate the seeds from the pulp, I clean out the pumpkins and throw everything into a large bowl. Then, I squeeze the seeds away from the pulp (without rinsing) & toss them into a medium-sized bowl filled with cold water. Don't rinse them under the tap while you're trying to separate out the seeds. This will make everything a lot slimier and harder to handle. The seeds will float in the water, so I whip them around with my fingers to further loosen any remaining pulp.
3. Strain through a metal colander & give them a good rinse with cold water.
|Beautiful clean seeds!|
4. Transfer the seeds back into a clean bowl. Dab the seeds with paper towel to dry them as much as possible. They don't have to be completely dry. The butter and seasonings will stick better if the seeds are less wet. Keep in mind that pumpkin seeds like to stick to paper towels, so be sure not to throw any away!
5. Add melted butter & seasonings to taste. Transfer the seasoned seeds onto a Silpat, which will prevent burning. If you don't have a Silpat, lightly coat a cookie sheet with olive oil or give it a spritz of butter-flavored PAM. Spread the seeds in a single layer on the baking sheet.
|Seasoned & ready for roasting|
6. Bake for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden brown.