Tuesday's Cupboard—My All-Time Favorite Roasted Vegetable Recipe
Hearty & delicious roasted winter veggies with fresh herbs
A super-tasty way to combine veggies any time of the year! Feel free to substitute 2 to 3 zucchinis in place of the kalettes &/or brussel sprouts. I've also added yellow & red cherry tomatoes and cut-up summer garden tomatoes to the mix. This recipe will make your kitchen smell wonderful!!
Troi's Roasted Veggies
Preheat oven to 375°
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (I use 1 T. infused olive oil (lemon, basil or galic) + 1 T. regular olive oil; if you don't have infused oil, use 1 T. olive oil + 1 T. canola or peanut oil)
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. kosher or flaked salt OR 1/2 tsp. of garlic & herb Mrs. Dash
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 2 bell peppers (combine red, yellow & green bells)
- 1 Vidalia or Walla Walla sweet onion, cut into chunks
- 1 small bag of heirloom baby carrots (available at Safeway)
- 1 small bag of pre-washed kalettes (a kale + brussel sprout hybrid available at Whole Foods)
- 1 small bag of clean, fresh, firm brussel sprouts
- 1/4 c. fresh herbs (about a tablespoon each of thyme + rosemary + oregano)
- 1-1/4 c. new potatoes, scrubbed & quartered
- 2 quartered Meyer lemons, seeded but unsqueezed (the juices will release into the roasting pan)
Scrub & cut-up all of the veggies. Put them into a large mixing bowl. Add the fresh herbs. I usually just throw in torn leaves and tender sprigs rather than cut up the herbs. This is a country dish, and everything is in chunks and pieces.
Once everything is in the bowl, add the oils, chili powder, cumin, salt (or Mrs. Dash) & freshly ground pepper. Toss to combine.
These veggies are happy to share an uncovered non-stick roasting pan with a boneless turkey roast! Or, you can roast them by themselves & serve alone. Roast according to the cooking time on the turkey. Mine usually takes 1-1/2 hours on 350°. Or, bake the veggies uncovered in a non-stick roasting pan at 375° for about an hour until tender.
Check every 30 minutes & stir to prevent the veggies from drying out. The lemons will release their juices as you stir, which will also keep the veggies moist & delicious. If you don't have fresh lemons, substitute a 1/4 c. of chicken broth.