Monday—National Parks Artist-in- Residence Program
Artists + National Parks = A Natural Connection
|Pearle Jones (my grandmother)_Grand Canyon 1928|
Sponsored by the National Park Service
Here is an interesting way to explore the national parks! As an artist-in-residence.
The National Park Service has over 50 in-residence programs for visual artists, writers, musicians, performers, and other creatives to capture the unique identity of each park through individual works of art.
Residencies typically last 2 to 4 weeks, and most include lodging. Each park has its own schedule and application procedures, so applicants need to work with the individual park websites.
Artists are usually asked to contribute original works of art &/or make park presentations to park visitors. Check the program requirements for each park.
Click HERE to access the interactive map
- Mesa Verde National Park (Colorado): Applications are accepted from November 1 through December 31 for the following year. The 2015 artists have been chosen.
- The Grand Canyon (Arizona) is booked through 2017, but they are accepting apps for 2018.
- Great Basin National Park (Nevada): The deadline for 2015 submissions was 1 March 2015. The Artist-in-Residence for each calendar year is chosen in April. The residency starts in mid-September to 1 October.
- Rocky Mountain National Park (Colorado): The application period is 1 October through 15 November. Applicants are notified by 15 April. Residencies run from June through September.
- Big Cypress National Preserve (Florida): Residencies available during the wet season (May through October) and dry season (November through April). I'm not sure what the application period is, but applications are reviewed in August for the following year's residencies.
- Glacier National Park (Montana): Applications are accepted between 1 November and 31 December for the following year. Applicants are notified in late March.
- I was disappointed to find that Joshua Tree National Park does not have any info posted on an artist-in-residence program. Contact them directly to inquire.