Tuesday's Cupboard—Salmon Puttanesca with Quinoa & Kale
A classic Italian sauce + flavorful & healthy salmon filets
Adapted from Weight Watcher's Magazine, July/August 2015
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 25 minutes
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1/2 c. chopped sweet onion
- 2 tsp. chopped jarred garlic in water (or 2 cloves, chopped)
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 T. anchovy paste
- 2 - 14.5 oz. cans chopped Italian-style tomatoes
- 1 6-oz. can tomato paste (Italian-style or with garlic)
- 1/2 c. pitted Kalamata olives, roughly chopped
- 3 T. capers, drained
- 2 - 1/2 lb. salmon filets without the skin (ask the fish counter person to remove the skin for you)
|Super-easy & good! Available at Safeway|
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion, garlic & red pepper flakes. Cook, stirring occasionally until onion & garlic soften, 2-3 minutes.
- Add anchovy paste & cook until paste melts, about 1 minute.
- Add canned tomatoes & tomato paste. Thin with about a half a can of water from the tomato can.
- Simmer on medium-low until sauce thickens, 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in olives & capers.
- Nestle salmon filets into the sauce. Spoon sauce over the salmon to cover. Partially cover the saucepan with a glass lid & simmer for 10-12 minutes until fish is firm & opaque.
- Zap the frozen quinoa & kale. Allow 4 minutes.
- Serve & enjoy!