Tuesday's Cupboard—Broccoli & Cheddar Frittata
Use a bag of precut, cleaned broccoli to make this recipe even easier!
|A perfect supper for chilly autumn nights|
broccoli & cheddar frittata
prep: 10 min/ cook 25 mins/ serves 4 to 6
adapted from Weight Watchers Magazine Nov/Dec 2015
- 11 large fresh eggs
- 1 T. olive oil or butter
- 1 small sweet onion, chopped
- 2 c. chopped cooked broccoli
- 1/2 c. shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- pinch of kosher salt & cracked black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Position rack in middle of oven
- Heat oil until shimmering in a 10-inch oven proof skillet over medium heat
- Add onion & sauté until tender (3-4 minutes)
- Mix in broccoli with onions
- Pour eggs over vegetables, covering evenly.
- Cook, gently lifting & pushing cooked edges toward center, allowing liquid eggs to spill through the sides & cook evenly.
- Cook for about 4 minutes.
- Sprinkle cheddar cheese on top & transfer to hot oven.
- Bake until frittata is golden brown & puffed up, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Center of frittata should be slightly soft, but not liquid.
- Cut into wedges with a flexible pancake turner so as not to damage the surface of the skillet.
I like to serve this with a handful of mixed yellow & red cherry tomatoes, baby heirlooms if you can find them at Safeway or the Farmer's Market. A glass of Chardonnay is also quite nice for brunch or supper.