|A hearty & healthy winter supper|
- Save time at the grocery store with pre-chopped green onions (Safeway carries these)
- I substituted jarred roasted red peppers for the jarred roasted paquillo peppers
- I added the entire can of tomatoes, including the juice
- I whipped up my own chicken broth from cubes, rather than canned broth
- This makes fantastic leftovers the following day!
Weight Watcher's Shrimp & Chicken
Prep 30 minutes_Cook 40 minutes
- 1/2 tsp. ground saffron
- 1/4 c. hot water
- 1 tsp. + 1 tsp. olive oil—divided
- 1 lb. large, peeled deveined shrimp
- 12-oz. package of chicken chorizo cut into 1" chunks (get the firm, precooked link variety, not the soft, bulk tube variety)
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 8 oz. sliced cremini mushrooms (1 package at Safeway)
- 4 medium green onions_save 2 T. for topping (1 pkg. chopped green onions from Safeway)
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 T. minced garlic (I use jarred minced garlic in water)
- 1_15 oz. can diced Italian-style tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 tsp. paprika
- 2 c. dry Arborio rice
- 2-1/2 c. chicken broth
- 1 c. sliced roasted red or piquillo peppers
- 1 c. frozen baby peas
- 1/4 c. fresh curly or flat parsley
- Sliced, fresh lemon for finishing the dish
- In a 1 c. glass measuring cup, combine saffron & 1/4 c. hot water to dissolve.
- Heat 1 tsp. olive oil in a large, non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook shrimp until opaque, about 5 minutes. Remove to a plate.
- Add remaining olive oil, cut-up chorizo, chopped onion, sliced mushrooms, green onions & salt to the pan. Cook, stirring often until mushrooms begin to brown, about 6 minutes.
- Add garlic, tomatoes, paprika & rice. Stir to combine.
- Add broth & saffron water. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to med-low & simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in jarred peppers, frozen peas & cooked shrimp. Continue on simmer until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, about 7 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped fresh parsley & chopped green onions.
- Drizzle 1/2 slice of fresh lemon juice over the top (about a teaspoon).
Per serving: (1-1/2 cups) 390 cals; 7 g total fat_2 g sat fat; 834 mg sodium; 53 g total carbs; 6 g sugar; 4 g fiber; 27 g protein. Points per serving = 9 points