The original recipe was published in Weight Watcher Magazine March /April 2015 as White Chicken Chili With Salsa Verde.
I wouldn't call it chili as much as I'd call it a rich, clear, flavor-packed soup. I used fresh poblano chilies, which have a mild heat (if any), and I substituted red and yellow bell peppers for the two Serrano peppers. If you like a little heat, keep the Serranos, but use the bell peppers, also.
I skipped over the first step of sautéing and blending the peppers, onion & spices in a sauce pan. Instead, I popped all of the fresh, uncooked ingredients into my slow cooker and let everything stew on High until the chicken was cooked through and the bell peppers had just a touch of stiffness.
I added the finishing ingredients (store-bought refrigerated salsa verde, fresh cilantro & lime juice) to the individual bowls, rather than to the whole soup, then loaded it up with a dollop of nonfat sour cream and some crispy tri-color tortilla salad toppings. Freshly ground black pepper and a sprinkle of chili powder or paprika add color and a peppery zippity-doo-dah before serving.
So, I call my version of this dish...
Zippity-Doo-Dah White Bean Soup
- 1 T. olive oil (use a jalapeño-infused oil, if you have it)
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 4 poblano peppers, seeded & chopped
- 2 Serrano peppers, seeded & chopped (optional for added heat)
- 1 red + 1 yellow bell pepper (2 bells), seeded & chopped
- 1 T. chopped garlic (I used jarred in water)
- 1 tsp. kosher salt (I used a couple of pinches)
- 1-1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 6 c. chicken broth (enough to cover the chicken & veggies)
- 2 lbs. uncooked boneless, skinless chicken breasts—cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3—15 oz. cans cannellini beans, drained & rinsed
toppings (for each serving)
- store-bought, refrigerated salsa verde
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, torn or chopped
- bottled or fresh lime juice
- nonfat sour cream
- Fresh Gourmet tortilla strip salad toppings (available at Safeway in the veggie department)
- freshly ground black pepper
- chili powder or paprika, sprinkled on
- Put all of the ingredients (minus the toppings) into a crock pot & set on HIGH.
- Allow 3 hours for cooking
- Soup is done when the chicken is cooked through & the veggies are mostly soft
- Top each serving with 1 T. of salsa verde, fresh cilantro, lime juice, nonfat sour cream & tortilla strips
- Finish with a grind or two of black pepper & a pinch of chili powder or paprika
|Gorgeous fresh poblanos (available at Safeway)|
|I added these for color & extra flavor|
|Fab spices give this soup a rich, full flavor|