Saturday Finances—Women, Money & The Confidence Gap

Love this short (3 min 45 secs) TEDx talk by Kathleen Murphy, President of Personal Investing at Fidelity



Why don't women talk about money?   --dontstealmypen



It's boring...I don't want to fight with my spouse about money...I'm not very good at numbers...I might make a mistake...I don't want to rock the boat...I'm afraid people won't like me...I don't want to be perceived as pushy...Someone else manages my money...I can't understand this stuff...I'm afraid my coworkers &/or family might think that I'm greedy or selfish or bossy...It's unfeminine...Thinking about money issues is upsetting...I don't have time.


The Facts Are
  • Women earn 60 percent of the college degrees (National Center for Education Statistics, Digest for Education Statistics, 2012).
  • More than 50 percent of women outearn their spouses and are the primary breadwinners (Pew Research Center Study, 2014).
  • By 2020, women will control $22 trillion in personal wealth (US Census current population survey, 2012).
  • Only 1 in 8 Gen Y women (born between 1978-1988) call themselves the primary decision maker when it comes to personal finance (Fidelity Investments, "Couples Retirement Study, 2013").  
  • Only 9 percent of Gen Y women are confident about managing investments (Fidelity Investments, "Couples Retirement Study, 2013").
  • 90 percent of all women will have to manage their finances on their own at some point in their lives (Women in the Labor Force: A Databook, "US Bureau of Labor Statistics, 2012").


Let's Get Going!

Kathleen Murphy, President of Personal Investing at Fidelity Investments



"...We still see...a confidence gap on some really important things.  

There's a confidence gap in terms of asking for salaries, for salary increases.  There's a confidence gap in terms of career advancement.  We don't think it's polite to assert ourselves.  

And, there is clearly a confidence gap in terms of women thinking they're good enough in terms of how to invest that hard earned savings."


Take the First Step:  Learn

Watch this 2-minute guide on how to 
create a budget

The 50/15/5 Rule



Learn More
Click HERE for more valuable info


Now, take control of your future by taking control of your finances.  


• empower • yourself •


Popular posts from this blog

#TBT—Campus Housing Lists 1974 & 1978

Good forYou, Good forThe Kitties