Tuesday's Cupboard—Mushroom & Black Bean Tortilla Casserole
Adapted from Martha Stewart's Everyday Food with Sarah Carey
Mushroom & Black Bean
Prep time: 30 mins
Cooking time: 45 mins
|I spruced up this recipe by adding a chopped onion & 3 chopped|
stoplight bell peppers (1 red, 1 yellow, one green or orange)
Preheat oven to 400°F
Equipment: Large, deep nonstick skillet & 1 large glass casserole dish
- 2 T. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 T. jarred, chopped garlic in water (or 3 fresh cloves_chopped)
- 1 large sweet yellow onion_chopped
- 2 pkgs. pre-sliced fresh mushrooms (I used one pkg of button & one pkg of cremini)
- 1 red + 1 yellow + 1 green or orange bell pepper_chopped (3 bell peppers total)
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. cracked black pepper
- 2 15-oz. cans of black beans_drained & rinsed
- PAM olive oil spray
- 1 pkg. white corn tortillas_sliced in half
- 1 large jar of mild Pace picante sauce_about 2 cups
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack or sharp cheddar cheese (1, 8-oz. pkg)
Optional toppings: sliced avocado, nonfat sour cream, chipotle sauce, chopped fresh cilantro
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add garlic & onion; cook, stirring often until onion is tender, about 4 minutes.
- Add mushrooms & bell peppers; cook, stirring occasionally until veggies are tender (about 5 minutes).
- Add cayenne, freshly cracked black pepper & kosher salt. Stir to combine.
- Stir in black beans & cook for about 2 minutes to heat through.
- Remove bean mixture from heat.
- Spray the bottom of a large glass casserole dish (either rectangular or square) with PAM.
- Arrange tortilla halves in the bottom of the baking dish, enough to cover in one layer.
- Top with half of the bean mixture, then 1/3 of the salsa.
- Sprinkle with one-third of the cheese.
- Repeat with another layer of tortilla halves, bean mixture, salsa & cheese.
- Top with another layer of tortilla halves, salsa & cheese.
- Cover with nonstick foil.
- Bake until center is hot & cheese is melted, about 35 minutes. Uncover & bake another 10 minutes until bubbling.
- Remove from oven & let cool for 5 minutes. Serve with optional toppings.
Watch Sarah's video