Monday—The Art of Thank You Letters

"I still feel 'seen' when someone affixes a stamp to an envelope and mails me their thoughts."  ~Erica Gerard Di Bona, The Art of Thank You Blog



thank you

A thank you letter from my gramma Pearle

The Art of the Thank You


Start with A Greeting

"Dear or Dearest..."
"Hi,..."
"Hello!..."
"To my favorite..."


Express Gratitude

"Thank you so much for the (whatever)."
"You were so thoughtful to remember my birthday."
"It was good to hear from you."
"Your package made my day!"


Show Appreciation

"I can't wait to use my Starbuck's gift card the next time I travel."
"Having you at the reunion meant a lot to everyone who was there."
"The artwork looks beautiful hanging in our living room."
"I will always treasure the family photos."
"We used the money to replace the clock that was broken in the earthquake."


Follow Up

"Be sure to let me know if you get the job!"
"I will keep you posted on our move."
"Good luck with your classes this year"."
"Let me know if you talk to your cousin next month."
"Send pix of the new baby when he/she arrives!"
"Let's get together & catch up this summer."


Wrap It Up with a Summary

"Call me anytime.  I love hearing from you."
"I'm looking forward to seeing you again."
"I wish you the best and think of you often."
"Let's have coffee the next time I'm in town!"


Closing

To a loved one:  
"Love, Much love, Hugs & Kisses, All my love, Your BFF,"

To a friend:  
"Cheers, Thanks again, Warmly, See you soon, Many thanks, Yours always"

To a colleague:
"Sincerely, Gratefully yours, Respectfully yours, Best regards, Yours truly"


Style

  • Use nice stationary & envelopes
  • Hand-write (more personal) or type (more formal) 
  • Emails will do in a pinch, but a handwritten note for a wedding or a baby gift expresses warmth, especially if it's a handmade gift.
  • Be sincere
  • It's never too late to send a thank-you note.  Having said that, it's appropriate to send thank-yous within a week.  Otherwise, the person who wrote or sent the gift will never know if it arrived.  
  • A verbal thank-you works if life intrudes (e.g. a funeral, chronic illness, moving, destructive event, etc.), but no acknowledgement is insulting.  

Click HERE for free thank-you letter templates from wikiHow

 stay • in • touch •

Popular posts from this blog

#TBT—Campus Housing Lists 1974 & 1978

Good forYou, Good forThe Kitties