Tuesday's Cupboard—Big Ol' Vegetarian Chili
Adapted from Weight Watcher's Magazine Sept /Oct 2014
Big Ol' Vegetarian Chili
- 1 T. canola or olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1 poblano pepper, chopped (mildly spicy)
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 14-oz. pkg. extra-firm tofu with most of the liquid squeezed out; sliced & cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- 3 15-oz. can black beans, drained & rinsed
- 2-1/2 c. fresh or frozen corn kernals (3-4 cobs worth)
- 1 15-oz. container fresh mild salsa verde
- 3 14.5-oz. cans Italian-style chopped tomatoes
- 1 14.5-oz. can fire-roasted chopped tomatoes
- 3 T. chili powder
- 3 tsp. cumin
- 3 tsp. dried oregano
- 3 tsp. jarred, chopped garlic in water
- 3 T. red vinegar
- 2 tsp. kosher salt (to taste)
- 2 tsp. cracked black pepper
- 8 large radishes, sliced
- 1/2 c. chopped fresh cilantro
- pre-shredded jack cheese
- tortilla chips
- wheat tortillas
- Heat oil in large soup pot over medium heat.
- Add onion & cook until softened, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in chopped poblano + red bell pepper & cook until softened, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in tofu, black beans, fresh corn kernals & salsa verde.
- Stir in canned toms, chili powder, cumin, oregano, garlic, vinegar, salt & pepper.
- Simmer until tofu is heated through and corn is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Serve topped with shredded jack cheese, fresh sliced radish & chopped fresh cilantro.
- Add a handful of tortilla chips...or sliced avocado mashed up on a folded wheat tortilla.
• celebrate • good • food •