Tuesday's Cupboard—Moroccan Spiced Butternut Squash Bisque
Adapted from Weight Watcher Magazine_Sept/October 2016
- doubled the broth to 8 cups to make a thinner soup
- doubled the shredded carrots (2-10 oz. bags)
- doubled the orange juice
- used heaping measures of the spices
Butternut Squash Bisque
prep: 25 mins // cook 35 mins // serves 8
special equipment: an immersion blender
|With freshly chopped chives|
- 1 tsp. coconut oil
- 1 large chopped sweet yellow onion (2 c.)
- 2 - 10 oz. bags of shredded carrots
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 T. jarred minced ginger (or 1 T. fresh)
- 1 tsp. jarred chopped garlic in H20 (or 2 cloves, fresh)
- 1 T. coriander
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 pinches of cayenne
- 2 - 20 oz. packages of precut butternut squash
- 8 cups chicken broth (I use Knorr's double-size cubes to make my own)
- 2 T. orange juice
- 1 small package pre-cleaned chives
- Heat coconut oil in a large soup pot over medium heat.
- Add chopped onion, shredded carrots & kosher salt. Cook stirring frequently until veggies are softened, about 10 minutes.
- Add ginger, coriander, cumin, cinnamon & cayenne pepper; cook, stirring constantly to coat all of the veggies in spices.
- Add squash; stir to mix.
- Add broth to pot; increase heat to high & bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer partially covered for 30 minutes until squash is very soft.
- Remove from heat & place pot on a heat-proof surface.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the veggies.
- Stir in orange juice to combine flavors.
- Serve in individual bowls garnished with freshly chopped chives.
• hearty • autumn • soups •