tandoori roasted cauliflower stew
prep 25 mins / cook 45 mins / serves 8
equipment: Silpat or parchment paper; immersion blender
|Warm & spicy & bursting with exotic flavors|
- 8 cups cauliflower cut-up & divided in half
- 2 T. curry powder
- 1 tsp. kosher salt, divided (1/2 tsp each)
- olive oil PAM
- 1 T. coconut oil
- 2 c. red or yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tsp. chopped garlic (jarred, packed in water or 1 clove, fresh)
- 1 tsp. minced ginger (jarred or fresh)
- 1 tsp. mustard seed
- 1 tsp. cumin seed
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 2 (14 oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups fresh green beans, cleaned & cut into 2-inch segments
- 1 T. lime juice (preferably fresh)
- paprika for sprinkling on top
- chopped fresh basil (optional for sprinkling on top)
|cauliflower & curry powder|
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a SILPAT. Spray lightly with olive oil PAM.
- Place 4 cups of the chopped cauliflower in a large bowl & coat with olive oil PAM.
- Toss with 2 tsp. curry powder & 1/2 tsp. kosher salt.
- Spread cauliflower on prepared pan; roast, stirring once halfway through, about 30 minutes. Set aside.
- While cauliflower is roasting, heat coconut oil in a large soup pot.
- Add onion & remaining 1/2 tsp. salt, stirring often until slightly softened, about 5 mins.
- Add garlic, ginger, mustard seed, cumin seed & remaining curry powder (about 1 tsp, or more to taste). Stir to combine.
- Cook, stirring frequently, about 1 minute.
- Add broth & remaining 4 cups of uncooked cauliflower to the pot.
- Increase heat to high & bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low & simmer uncovered until cauliflower is soft, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat & place on a heat-proof surface. Using an immersion blender, purée soup in the pot.
- Stir in canned tomatoes & fresh green beans.
- Cook uncovered until green beans are tender, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Stir in lime juice & roasted cauliflower. Heat through for 2 minutes.
- Serve in bowls topped with paprika & chopped fresh basil.
Tip: This is even better heated up the next day, after the flavors have combined overnight.