old-fashioned strawberry jam
|a sunny breakfast|
- 4 - 5 quart pot
- canning equipment
- 4 cups of crushed, fresh strawberries
- 4 cups of fine white sugar
|beautiful fat strawberries|
- Prepare 4 half-pint canning jars (sterilize clean jars by immersing them in water & boiling them for 15 minutes. Keep them immersed until ready to fill. Keep lids & rings in scalding hot water until ready to use.
- Place crushed strawberries in a 4 to 5 quart pot. Stir in sugar until well blended.
- Bring mixture to a boil over high heat, stirring constantly.
- Continue boiling, uncovered & stirring frequently for 10 to 15 minutes or until thickened. Skim off foam, if there is any.
- Pour into hot jars within 1/8 to 1/4" from the rim. Wipe rims with a clean, warm cloth. Place hot lids on jars and screw on hot ring bands as tightly as you comfortably can.
- Let cool on a towel out of a draft; listen for the lids to pop. After the jars are cool, check to make sure that the lids are down and each has a good seal. Label & date each jar.
- Store in a cool, dark area. Discard after 1 year.
• enjoy your strawberry jam •