|I used whole small green olives instead of sliced larger olives|
with a side of mixed exotic rice
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1 red + 1 orange/yellow + 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium mild fresh chili pepper, chopped
- 4 tsp. jarred chopped garlic in H20 (or 4 chopped fresh garlic cloves)
- 1.25 lbs. lean ground turkey (7% or less)
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can diced Italian-style tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. ground cloves
- 8 pimento-stuffed green olives, sliced
- 1/4 c. raisins
- 2 T. white wine vinegar
Optional toppings: chopped fresh avocado, fresh salsa, fresh cilantro, chipotle sauce
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onions, bell peppers & chili pepper. Cook stirring occasionally until veggies are softened, 4-5 minutes.
- Add garlic; sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add ground turkey & cook, breaking up the meat until no longer pink, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, bay leaf, oregano, cumin, salt, cinnamon & cloves. Cover (with a tiny bit of ventilation) & reduce heat to low. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add sliced green olives & raisins. Cook, covered until the mixture thickens slightly & raisins are plumped up, 5-10 minutes.
- Remove from heat & discard bay leaf.
- Add wine vinegar, stir to combine & serve with toppings, if desired.