Slow Cooker Garlic Chicken
Prep: 25 minutes
Cooking Time: 2 to 3 hours
|I browned the chicken with the skin on because it looked so good in the video!|
Next time, I'll remove the skin to reduce fat.
- 3.5 to 4 lbs. chicken breasts & thighs, skin removed
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 3 T. canola + olive oil, for browning
- 1 large yellow onion, cleaned & sliced
- 1 bag of package pre-sliced mushrooms
- 1 red + 1 yellow + 1 orange bell peppers, sliced (these come in a pre-selected bag at Safeway)
- 6 tsp. jarred, chopped garlic in water (or 6 cloves)
- 2 tsp. dried thyme (or 1/4 c. fresh, chopped)
- 1 cup dry white wine (the recipe calls for wine, but you could substitute chicken broth)
- 1/3 cup all-purpose white flour
- 1 cup couscous (I use Safeway Organics frozen steam-in-a-bag couscous)
- chopped fresh parsley for serving
- Heat oil in a deep non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add chicken. Season with salt & pepper. Brown on both sides.
- Combine onion, garlic & thyme in a 7-qt. slow cooker.
- Top with chicken, skin side up, in a layer on top of the onions.
- Add sliced fresh mushrooms & sliced bell peppers on top of the chicken.
- In a small bowl, whisk together wine & flour until smooth. Pour over veggies & chicken in the slow cooker.
- Cover & cook on high until chicken is tender (2 to 3 hours depending on how fast your crock pot cooks).
- Zap the frozen couscous or make the packaged version in the microwave for an easy supper.
- Serve chicken and sauce over the couscous.
- Sprinkle with freshly chopped parsley.